Wrapping up our blog series Choosing a Credit Counselor: 6 Questions to Ask, below we will point out some final important questions to ask when you are choosing a credit counselor to help you.
Some Final Questions to Ask When Choosing a Credit Counselor…
Question 5 – How do you keep my personal information private and secure?
You should receive a clear, detailed answer to this question, and the answer should be specific to the security measures that the credit counseling service will take to protect your personal information. If the company does not have any answers about this (or the answers are inconsistent or fishy in any way), move on, and continue your journey of choosing a credit counselor.
Question 6 – How are your employees paid?
More specifically, ask if the credit counseling agency or service pays their employees:
- Based on the services that you sign up for
- Based on the fee(s) they charge you for their credit counseling services
- Based on some contribution you have made (or will make) to the agency.
If these are the ways that a credit counseling service or agency pays its employees, consider this to be a red flag and consider choosing a credit counselor that isn’t employed by this company. In general, credible credit counseling services will be non-profit
A Few More Tips for Choosing a Credit Counselor…
- Avoid services that want to auto-enroll you in some payment program.
- Report any fraud or illegal acts that you believe a credit counseling agency has committed. You can report this to your local authorities or, more preferably, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
- Talk to an experienced bankruptcy attorney for guidance regarding your best moves for choosing a credit counselor and, for more of a long run goal, getting out of serious debt.
Colorado Bankruptcy Lawyers at the Law Office of Jon B. Clarke, P.C.
Whether you’ve completed the credit counseling requirement for bankruptcy, if you are struggling with debt and are looking for a financial fresh start, contact the trusted Colorado debt relief and bankruptcy lawyers at the Law Office of Jon B. Clarke, P.C.
For more than 35 years, our Denver, Colorado bankruptcy lawyers have been successfully helping our clients resolve their personal and business bankruptcy cases, regardless of how straightforward or complicated they may be. Our experienced legal professionals are committed to providing each of our clients with the personalized debt relief assistance they need, and we will work tirelessly to ensure that our clients’ cases are resolved as favorably and efficiently as possible.
Let’s Talk about Your Debt Relief Options – Contact Us Today
For a thorough assessment of your situation, along with expert advice regarding the best manner in which to move forward to unburden yourself from debt, call us at (866) 916-3950 or email us using the contact form on this page.
From our offices based in Denver, we provide people throughout Colorado with the highest quality debt relief legal services.